Wednesday, June 14, 2006

CNN Update

Monday - AV, the reporter I worked with was still overseas giving a talk, so my producer and I hung around. The boredom was thick. So we worked on writing practice scripts for the show. At the end of the day, it was simple. KISS. Keep it simple, stupid! Trying to write like a print journalist (blame Emory's journalism program for that), I realized I needed to write it in layman's terms, without ever using a word like...layman. So try to keep it short. Try to keep it facts. Try to keep it funny. Much harder than most people would think.

Tuesday - AV was back. And we were packed with work to do. With 7 hits through the day (hits are spots that the reporter would show up for from 30 seconds to 5 minutes), we were running all over the place. I had to do all the research for one of these 3 minute hits. And for the most part, I just cruised along, researching and talking to Wal-mart, Home Depot, and other big companies. And then I sent in my report, pretty much staging the entire conversation happening between anchor and reporter. And when it went on air, it was first of all, really cool to hear my own work being talked about and presented on television. Besides the ownership factor though, a bit of holy-crap-shit fear kicked in. I realized that this was being broadcast nationally, and I was talking about some of the biggest companies. One misstep in research or editing mistake might have meant my job. But it all went well.

Wednesday - somewhat of a slow day besides making props. Literally making them. 4th grade Art class came in helpful.

But the main highlight of Wednesday was when I was waiting for an elevator to go up. Suddenly, I see three bodyguards come into the elevator lobby with me. What the hell? ran through my head and suddenly, Benjamin Netanyahu (former Israel PM), showed up. He gave me a nod. I do not know what I did but I could barely open my mouth. I did some movement with my head and I can only hope it was a nod as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home