Wednesday, March 01, 2006

College Brochure

When I read the college brochures and especially the Emory one, this is not the existence that I had imagined. When I was watching Road Trip and American Pie and Saved by the Bell: the College Years, this was not how college was supposed to be. But finally, I got what I signed up for. No more gloomy looks from Long Islanders in Gucci bags and Juicy pants on casual Friday and no more Southerners who are pissed off at the Long Islanders, where these conversations make up the time of an Emory existence. No more bad Emory announcements about subpar events and meetings around campus that consist of no more than 10-15 students meeting in a room, discussing something of utmost importance in non-passionate voices. It's like high school clubs without the incentive of building up the resume for college. They are simply there just to past the time into oblivion, but before we realize this, we are heading to another meeting. But no more forcing freshmen students to watch an old president spewing points about a country he could not run himself, no more skeleton mascots who take 30 minutes to make a boring speech, and no more complaints about the DUC, Dobbs, or Dr. Adame. NO MORE!

Amidst the 70 degree weather in the last day of February, a new spirit came alive on Emory's campus. The pamphlets came to life as I looked to my left and on the benches was laughter from a community of students that were black, hispanic, native american, gay, white, asian, and handicapped. To my left, there was a hippie kid trying to play guitar under a tree, but no music was coming out. He looked like he was thinking of lyrics to sing, or pondering how long he could pass off as someone who knew how to play guitar. I look straight ahead and there were boyfriend and girlfriend frolicking along past the childish high school phase. When I opened my ears, I heard noise, and when I opened my eyes, I actually saw smiles. I don't know what was happening, but considering it is a week before hell week, people were actually, can I say it? Happy.

Call me crazy, but it was moments like those today that made me sign up for this college thing in the first place. And chances are, I won't see many of those again, but maybe tomorrow, I will see a Jewish Long Island and a Southern Christian actually communicate with one another instead of being a whining bitch. And don't even let me get started on the Long Islanders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home