Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I Can See Clearly Now

I was sitting in Ms. Campbell's class and the moment of truth came. I tried to do it without anyone noticing. But there it was, I had to put it on. I grabbed the plastic by the sides and let it slide on top of my nose. And then I waited.

Laughter. Lots and lots of laughter.

It took me a year to realize that plastic glasses with 2 inch frames were not exactly in style. And it took me another 4 years to realize the exact octagonal shape that fits my face well.

And from that point -- I stuck to the same type of frames and the same type of eyewear because I was used to it, because I liked to look intelligent, because I liked have a shield from the rain, because I wouldn't dare think about sticking something in my eye.

But then last Thursday -- the screw in my glasses fell out and I tried fixing it myself. But one thing I found out again was that I am not a handyman. So I said -- this is it. This is the moment where I need to do something about it. I went to the optometrist the next day and by Monday, I put them on. It was a new chapter for myself and more importantly, my eyes.

Two soft, clear lenses to stick into my eyeballs. It took me 35 minutes just to get one contact into my right eye. And when it happened, I jumped up for joy like I did during SuperBowl XLII.

And the journey begins of putting specks into my eye. Of pushing the glasses closer to my nose when there isn't anything there. Of wanting to chew on something with nothing to chew on. Of no longer trying to take off my glasses for dramatic effect. Of scrounging on the floor to find the contacts that I dropped. Of blinking repeatedly when I'm trying to convince myself that it's natural to put stuff in and out of my eye.

But at least now -- I can see clearly -- with two eyes.

1 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger jlee48 said...

Guess you are lucky. My eyes are too dry to even wear soft..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home