Tuesday, June 27, 2006

525,600

And I ain't talking about measuring them in love.

Because I am an intern, they shoot me from available computer to available computer till the available computer is well -- no longer available. For the most part, I have been pretty lucky to stay in my secluded pod where only the quiet anchors hang out.

But today, my computer was taken over and I was sent down to the large news room that all the CNN tours get an overhead look at. Sidenote: It honestly baffles me on a daily basis trying to understand why people would pay 20-25 dollars for a thirty minute tour of people like me chatting on gmail. The fact that it is happening in more than one CNN bureau cracks me up as well.

In any case, I was working on writing this podcast with Ali Velshi. When I finished, my producer asked me to print it out. Now normally, the default printer in my usual computer requires one click and done. I expected it to work the same in this new computer, but before I knew it -- I saw the printing process shoot up 10,000 pages per second. Before I knew it, I had sent almost 600,000 pages to the printer. I searched through my local printers to try to cancel the job and I think I did the job.

Bottom line is -- I have no idea if I did or not. The worse case scenario -- which is still possible -- is that it went down to the headquarters main system printer in Atlanta. 600,00 pages to slow down the work progress of "the most trusted name in news."

At that point, I pulled a Peter Griffin amidst the oblivious New York workers, yawned, stretched, and slid myself away from the computer desk.

But I bet somewhere a few hundred miles away, someone is standing over a printer yelling: Who the f*ck printed 600,000 pages?!?!?!?!!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home